What Are Outdoor Cat Enclosures?
These enclosures allow you to have your cat or cats outside in a protected environment. You might think of them as somewhat as a see thru tent however they get a lot more sophisticated and fun. They come in all shapes and sizes which we will cover here. If you are someone that has an indoor meow that would enjoy some of the fresh air outside this is a great way to do it. When you want to find outdoor cat enclosures you’ve come to the right place. Keeping your cat happy makes for a happy home.
A Word Of Caution
Before bringing your pet outside you should take a few precautions:
- Have a flea collar or ensure they are properly treated.
- Always have a bowl or two of water in the enclosure.
- If it’s their first time and they don’t like it don’t force it.
- Be aware of other animals (especially other neighborhood cats) in the area. Even though they will be in an enclosed environment you can still have a squabble on your hands that can traumatize your cat.
- Make sure they aren’t completely left in the heated sun and left unattended. Cats can get hot outside easily.
Otherwise, if and your cat is okay with it an outdoor enclosure can be a lot of fun for them.
How Much Do They Cost?
There is a wide range of sizes and shapes so the cost can run anywhere from $30 to $350 dollars. If you’ve never tried taking your pet outside you might want to try a lesser expensive enclosure before you run out and spend $350 bucks. Otherwise, the higher end enclosures are fantastic! I’ve seen where people will have them directly connected to their home, garage or enclosed porch and the cat actually has free rein to go between habitats, very neat.
Can You Have More Than One Cat In The Enclosure?
Absolutely, especially if they already live together. In fact, it would be recommended. Many people aren’t aware but cats like to stick together in unknown areas, basically they watch each others backs if they already have a relationship with one another.
How Much Assembly Is Required?
It depends on the size, some, none at all. For the larger enclosures you’ll need to spend a little bit of time putting it together. They aren’t hard at all and it’s a fun project. If you have kids they love to participate too.
Another use for enclosures is a good method for introducing a new cat to the environment. They can meet each other and still have their own protective space. The Outdoor Feline Funhouse is made with this in mind and is featured below.
Reviews of Outdoor Cat Enclosures
Kittywalk Town-&-Country Pet Enclosure
The Midwest Homes playpen measures in at 36 inches long by 23.5 inches wide and a towering 50.5 inches high. This hits the high points by be multi-level (3 of them) that cats love. Additional features are:
- It’s made of black Electro-Coated wire that’s both sturdy and easy to clean.
- Sits on rollable casters making transporting in and out of storage is simple.
- Large swinging door provides access.
- Has the ability to completely collapse for small storage spaces.
- Safe & Durable
Outdoor Feline Funhouse
An enclosure with breeders in mind. It measures 72x34x28 and is simple to setup and use and features:
- One single piece, easy to move and put away.
- Includes separate storage bag, the bag itself is 22 inches in diameter for small storage spaces.
- Completely weather resistant (always storage when it’s not going to be used for extended periods and during the winter in cold climates).
- Great for breeders.
- Light weight.
- Good for introducing new pets to the household.
Precision Pet Play Yard
The Precision Play Yard comes in two different sizes, small (29x29x17), medium (36x36x21) and large (46x46x28). Note that the large price is being quoted. It’s equipped with many features including:
- Easy assembly with no tools required. It’s up and ready in minutes.
- Includes a carrying case.
- Fold easily for quick storage.
- Completely water resistant.
- Top removes via zipper and the bottom is washable
Be sure to check out the small or medium size that’s available if you wish to place in a smaller space.
Kittywalk Outdoor Net Cat Enclosure (Our Top #1 Choice)
If your looking for something very simple and reliable to put on your deck or patio this is a great choice. It makes for a quick and easy way to sit outside with you meow while you have a cup of coffee and relax. It features:
- Integrates with other Kittywalk products.
- Self standing with open net construction. The open netting allows maximum visibility and ventilation.
- Comes with 2 enclosed doors (access from both sides just in case your meow doesn’t want to come back inside).
- Completely weather resistant.
- Includes a storage bag for storage or traveling.
ABO Gear Happy Habitat
The ABO Happy Habitat is a simple and cost effective way to supply your cat with outdoor freshness. It features:
- Approximately 30 square feet of outdoor fun for your cat.
- Includes carrying bag.
- Zipper door.
- Includes 2 pegs to stake down for additional strength.
- Simple and easy to use.
This is a great choice for anyone on a budget that still wants to see their cat enjoy the outdoors.
Other Funny Outdoor Cat Enclosures
This just speaks of fun! Very cool!
The perimeter is guarded!
Make Your Own Outdoor Enclosure